We took it easy today with a short trip south to a small town called Bray. After exploring the beach for a bit, we took the opportunity to dip our toes in this side of the Atlantic.
After returning to Dublin, I managed to find a bus that took us directly to our hotel at the airport, which brought me joy on numerous levels. In addition to making my feet happy, I successfully demonstrated my serious map skills and got to experience the pleasure of not having to pay for a cab. It’s the little things.
In honor of our last day in Ireland, we have composed a list of things we will miss about traveling on the Emerald Isle (spoiler: there’s a lot of food involved) and a list of things we will not.
Things we will miss about traveling in Ireland
- People who are always friendly, happy, and welcoming to tourists
- Beautiful scenery every time you turn your head
- Pain au chocolat (or whatever they call it in Ireland)
- The history
- Hop House 13 beer
- Amazing local music
- Blue raspberry bon bons (I am so addicted)
- Trains that are efficient, clean, and go everywhere
- Having someone knowledgeable and fun organize every detail of your daily activities for you (we love you Dara!)
- Having good conversation with fellow travelers
- The accent (especially when they don’t pronounce the letter h in th – there’s no way you can keep a straight face when listening to an Irish person say 33 and 1/3)
- The 40 shades of green (and tour guides who repeat this phrase over and over) and all the beautiful flowers
Things we will not miss about traveling in Ireland
- Getting rained on at least once a day (yes, we realize you couldn’t have the 40 shades of green without all that rain, but still!)
- Individual faucets for hot and cold water
- Having to leave your hotel key card in a slot by the door to make the lights work
- Diet Coke that is half the size but costs more than a beer
- Having to wear the same clothes over and over
Tomorrow we say goodbye to Ireland and hello to family and friends, showers that we know how to work, doors we know how to lock and unlock, the best pup ever, Papa Johns pizza, and a closet full of clothes.